As part of a spring challenge, I created bumble bee nails. I choose to keep this quite simple! However the final result was quite cute!! This is one of my favorite designs from this year!
I hope you enjoy this tutorial!
- Base colour – choose a yellow/orange. I used OPI’s The ‘IT’ colour.
- Bee stripes: using tip guides (often used for french manicures) create black stripes on a nail of your choice. I used a smaller bush so that I could stay within the guides (see the tips section below for more detail).
- Eyes: Use a dotting tool (or alternative of you choice eg a toothpick) to create two large white dots. Repeat this step creating two black dots inside the white dots. Just take care with the placement of the dots, so that your bees don’t look ‘high’. Unfortunately my bee’s looked like they had way too many flowers.
- Flight path: again using the dotting tool place dots along each nail, varying the pattern.
- Apply a top coat. Ensure the nails have dried for a while and that the coat is applied gently to avoid smudging the dots or lines.
Tips for this design
- If your not comfortable using the dotting tool, practice on a piece of paper first. It took me a few goes to get used to using the tool.
- If you don’t have tip guides, painters tape or paper masking tap works well.
- If you have a Daiso near you, pick up a set of their small nail art brushes. I used these for the black lines of the bee:
If you have any questions, just comment below!